Friday, November 2, 2012
The fireplace, as I said in my previous post, was made with cardboard and covered with caulk and egg carton "stones" then painted and topped with a stained piece of balsa wood. It has some logs in it that are just branches from my yard hot glued together and the Playmobile kettle which is hanging by a toothpick perched between the stones on the front. (Lucky accident.) The fireplace is not attached in case I decide to put the chimney on the other side of the house. Over the mantle is a deer head made from one of my daughter's plastic animals. ( I got permission to use it, I promise!) I think the idea came from this tutorial from Dollhouse Minis. I also made a primitive fireplace like theirs in another dollhouse.
The washtub is a condiment cup painted silver with a pre-made wooden washboard and some cotton batting for bubbles and some fabric scraps.
The blanket chest upstairs is the bottom of a Michael's hutch painted in the style of Grazhina as is the bench and a flower pot on the mantle. The bench is pieces of balsa wood that are precariously glued together ; )
The table is made of wood scraps and dowels cleverly disguised with a scrap of fabric. The log seats are pieces of a hickory branch from my yard. My husband makes his own hickory chips for the barbecue grill. I borrowed a couple of them : )
The Michael's hutch in the background is dressed with a piece of lace and some paper plates and a canister from About.com
Complete details of how I made the antique pie safe is in another blog entry hutch makeover.
I already had the loaf of bread that came with another dollhouse. I made the bread board from a piece of balsa and a jewelry finding that looks just like a knife. The rolling pin is made from two different sizes of wooden dowels.
The hurricane lamp on the upstairs side table (another piece of hickory and some dowels) is made from a bead and a piece of plastic tubing that came from a drinking straw or a pen or something.
The yarn rugs are one of the first things I ever made. It's just a piece of card stock cut into a circle or oval with some yarn glued around it.
The beds were made with foam and cardboard and dressed with quilts that were printed from Jim's Printable Minis--a source I use again and again. The pillows are just batting and cloth with the seams hot glued together.
Some fabric scraps hang at the windows and there's a sweet little needlepoint (printie) picture that says Home Sweet Home.
It cost about $50 dollars to build. Here is the supply list:
Half round molding
Carpenter's wood glue
2 tubes of white caulk ( I am messy with caulk!)
Pack of Skinny sticks
Pack of balsa wood dowels
Luan Plywood veneer
Dollhouse wood shingles ( probably had some of these leftover, and did not figure into the price. I usually wait until I have a 50% off coupon before I buy them--the price is ridiculous!)
After the construction was finished, I set to work on the chimney, fireplace and wishing well which were all made from cardboard, caulk and egg carton stones. The chimney and fireplace still aren't attached. I wanted to be able to change them around if I wanted.
I also wanted to have a moving door which was a bit of a challenge because I'd never done anything like it before! The door is made of wood (Lord knows how I got it to fit!) with skinny sticks glued on top to make the wood pattern. I used short pieces of a paper clip to make the pins that the door turns on. They were just jammed into a small hole in the top and bottom of the door that I made by hand. A drill bit would have been way too big!
More next time on the inside of the log cabin!